WHAT COMES TO MIND WHEN YOU HEAR THE TERM ‘HOMESTEADING?’
Do you imagine living in a little wooden house on a prairie? Does your mind conjure up images of giving up all modern conveniences, like running water and electricity? Maybe you even picture having to give up your car and start riding in a horse and buggy…
Well, let me dispel the myth…
Homesteaders come in all shapes and sizes… from all walks of life…
We live in the city… we live in the suburbs… we live in the country on a acre of land… or even on a hundred…
SO, HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU’RE MODERN DAY HOMESTEADER?
Well, you just might be a modern day homesteader if you:
- grow tomatoes, lettuce and basil on your apartment balcony
- have your favorite herbs growing on your windowsill
- find kneading bread dough relaxing
- drive 20+ miles out of your way to buy milk and eggs from a farm
- learn about home remedies for healing your family
- dehydrate your favorite foods
- make your own jerky
- have your cupboards full of your homemade preserves
- know how to ‘cook from scratch’
- find it amazing that your chickens feed you breakfast every morning
- enjoy finding dirt under your fingernails after working in the garden
- enjoy breathing in the smell of ‘fresh country air’
- hang your laundry out on the line
- make your own soaps and salves
- enjoy spending time with your chickens — because it’s better than therapy!
So you see… wherever the modern day homesteader can be found… we all have one thing in common… we want to get back to the basics… we have a deep seeded desire to grow and raise our own food… to do things the way our ancestors did…
If this is how you feel, then you’ve come to the right place.
Welcome to my homestead!