It’s hard to believe that it’s been four months since we left our little homestead in the country!
I remember the night we left, like it was yesterday…
Nightfall would come before we could set out on our maiden voyage… but, depart we must… a severe snow storm was headed our way…
We’d spent the morning and most of the afternoon waiting for our permanent tags. We’d waited for over 3 months! Another delay was not an option! We would freeze to death if we stayed on the farm…
With items still needed for our trip, we couldn’t hitch up the camper just yet! Once the tags arrived, we attached them, and made one final trip into town!
Darkness had fallen by the time we could finally hitch up the trailer! A neighbor came to help, but warned that we should wait till morning to leave!
We did not heed his warning!
With plans to be in Fredericksburg, VA before we stopped for the night, we made one final stop for fuel and munchies! We were finally on our way!
After a long day, road weary, we pulled into a Walmart Parking lot around 2:30 am… somewhere in Virginia…
After asking permission, we found a spot on the outer perimeter of the parking lot.
Thinking we would get to sleep in our new camper for the very first time, we climbed inside only to find our newest little homestead in disarray!
Too tired to clean up the mess we grabbed our blankets and slept in the truck!
A mere 3 hours later, I woke to find a number of other RVers had stopped for the night…
With a check on the weather, I informed my traveling companions that we needed to keep heading south!
I only had plans to drive a total of 5 hours that day… however, the weather had other ideas!
Each time we stopped for a break, I would find the weather rapidly keeping us with us! It would be another 10 hours before we stopped for the night!
Upon waking that morning in North Carolina, I found that we had finally beaten the storm!
I am so very glad that we did not head our neighbors warning! After checking in with friends and family back home, we found we would have been stuck under 2 feet of snow!
With the threat of the storm gone, we were able to relax… One more day, and we would be in South Carolina visiting family! But things were not to be as expected…