WHAT COMES TO MIND WHEN YOU HEAR THE TERM ‘HOMESTEADING?’
Do you imagine living in a little wooden house on a prairie? Does you conjure up images throwing out all modern conveniences such as running water and electricity?
Maybe you even picture giving up your car and start using a horse and buggy…
Well, let me dispel the myth…
We homesteaders come in all shapes and sizes… and from all walks of life…
We can be found in cities… In suburbs… in the country on one acre of land or one hundred…
SO, HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU’RE A MODERN DAY HOMESTEADER?
Here are some clues to help you find out if you are a modern day homesteader:
- You grow tomatoes, lettuce and basil on your apartment balcony
- Your favorite herbs grow on your windowsill
- You find kneading bread dough relaxing
- You think nothing of driving 20+ miles out of your way to buy milk and eggs from a farm
- dehydrating your favorite foods is exhilarating
- Your cupboards are full of your homemade preserves
- know how to ‘cook from scratch’
- You find it amazing that your chickens feed you breakfast every morning
- You enjoy getting your hands dirty in the garden
- You enjoy breathing in the smell of ‘fresh country air’
- You hang your laundry out on the line
- You make your own soaps and salves
- enjoy spending time with your chickens — because it’s better than therapy!
So, as can you see… wherever the modern day homesteader can be found… we all have one thing in common… we want to get back to the basics… we have a deep seeded desire to grow and raise our own food… to do things the way our ancestors did…
If this is how you feel, then you’ve come to the right place.
Welcome to my homestead!